Niigata ～ Otaru
|Ports of Call||
6,680 - 40,310
Distance and Course Time
692.0km - 692.0km
/ 16H30M - 16H15M
A large scale car ferry (with overnight stay) that connects Niigata Port (Niigata City, Niigata Prefecture) and Otaru Port (Otaru City, Hokkaido Prefecture). It is a regular ferry that travels this long distance in 16 hours.
The large scale car ferry can board 600 people and 22 cars and provides a luxurious ferry ride in the Japan Sea.
It is called a moving hotel on the sea and there are a variety of available rooms, from economical dormitory rooms with bunk beds to a suite that comes with a private terrace and bath with a view of the ocean.
There is a large entrance hall in the center of the ferry with a stair wall. Passengers can enjoy the grill area, restaurant, cafe, shops, large bath with an outdoor tub, sports gym and even a coin laundry.
This ferry conveniently provides lodging while transporting people are cars between Niigata and Otaru.
When air and land routes become unavailable, it also provides an alternative travel option.
＜Tourist Attractions Nearby＞
• Toki Messe (international convention center): About 10 minutes by car from Niigata Port. It has an observation deck with a view of and around Niigata city.
• Lake Hyōko: About 30 minutes by car from Niigata Port. Observation spot for abundant and diverse bird life.
■ Otaru Port
• Otaru Canal: About 5 minutes by car. A historic canal that has been the backbone of ocean transport for Hokkaido
• Mount Tengu: About 25 minutes by car. A beautiful area where you can look out across Otaru City
＜Access to Pier＞
● Niigata Port (Yamanoshita Pier, Niigata Ferry terminal)
<By train> About 15 minutes by taxi from JR East Niigata station.
※There may be a connecting bus between Niigata station and Niigata Ferry Terminal. Please inquire for details.
<By car> About 7.5km from ‘Niigata Kameda IC’ of Nihonkai-Tohoku Expressway (about 30 minutes).
● Otaru Port (Katsuno Wharf Otaru Ferry Terminal)
<By train> About 10 minutes by taxi from JR Hokkaido Otaru Station.
*There may be a connecting bus from JR Otaru Station. Please inquire for details.
<By train> About 5 minutes by taxi from JR Hokkaido Otaru Tsukiko Station.
*There may be a connecting bus from JR Otaru Tsukiko Station. Please inquire for details.
<By car> About 1.2km from ‘Niigata Kameda IC’ of Nihonkai-Tohoku Expressway (about 3 minutes).
Shinnihonkai Ferry Co., Ltd.
※All published information is as of January 2019. For more details, please check the official company website.
|Items of Interest||Car Ferries,Large Car Ferries (Accommodative)||Route Type||Car Ferries|